Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Construction | Destruction & Repair

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jasband
Admin
Jasband

Ignore This Number : 456

Construction | Destruction & Repair Empty
PostSubject: Construction | Destruction & Repair   Construction | Destruction & Repair I_icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 2:16 pm

CONSTRUCTION

Throughout history, construction has been an important part of the rise of civilizations. GW5 is no different! There's a large variety of buildings that may be built, each with its own purpose, effect, and cost. Buildings are divided by which type of region they can be constructed in.

NOTE: Some buildings have two Tiers. Upgrading a building from Tier I to Tier II requires a VARIABLE amount of resources and seasons, listed in the tables below, and the SAME amount of Gold it took to complete Tier I.

Unless noted with an "additional" in the effect description, Tier I and Tier II effects DO NOT stack.

UNIVERSAL BUILDINGS
"Universal" buildings are construction projects that can be ordered in all 3 types of regions.

Roads facilitate the movement of armies and can be further developed to augment a region's passive income. Some Settled or Advanced regions may have Roads already built, in which case they will be marked as "paved."

• Tier I: Increases army and Agent movement speed
  • Tier II: Additional +5,000 Gold to the region's passive income
  • Build Cost: 3,000 Stone | 5,000 Gold | 2 Seasons
  • Upgrade Cost: 5,000 Stone | 5,000 Gold | 3 Seasons

Mass Teleport Lodestones (MTLs) allow men to be teleported into a region; again, some Settled or Advanced regions will already have these in place, in which case they will be marked as "linked."

• Tier I: Capacity for 1,000 soldiers
  • Tier II: Additional +1,500 teleport capacity (2,500 total)
  • Build Cost: 4,000 Stone | 7,500 Gold | 3 Seasons
  • Upgrade Cost: 2,000 Stone | 7,500 Gold | 3 Seasons

WILD REGION BUILDINGS
Wild regions focus mainly on Modimps, or Modifier Improvements. These structures enhance the current modifier of a specific resource. There are two limitations regarding Modimps:

1. A Modimp must correspond to an existing resource modifier in a region. This means that you can't build a Quarry in a region that has no Stone modifier, for instance.
  2. Only one Modimp can be built in a region at a time.

Construction | Destruction & Repair DaqEbG4

SETTLED REGION BUILDINGS
The bulk of the available buildings in the game can be built in a Settled region.
Construction | Destruction & Repair F1JXWZ3
Construction | Destruction & Repair Lv01eRU

ADVANCED REGION BUILDINGS
Advanced regions can support all of the buildings of a Settled region, excluding the Expansion Project, plus the following:
Construction | Destruction & Repair OQo0ZtZ
Construction | Destruction & Repair LFuc4ls

DESTRUCTION & REPAIR

What goes up, must come down. Well, it doesn't have to, in the case of GW5 structures, but it's certainly possible! Buildings can be destroyed either by natural disaster, an enemy attack, or intentional demolition.

The last option is a bit of a special case. If you choose to demolish a building, you'll recover 50% of the resources used to construct it (excluding Gold). This can be useful in the case of a Modimp in a region with two resource modifiers; demolishing the current Modimp and building one for the other modifier is possible. Demolition takes 1 season to complete.

There's one exception to the above: If a building is damaged by natural disaster or enemy attack, you can choose to repair or demolish it. In this case, however, demolishing it will only give you 25% of the resources used to construct it.

The resource cost and time it takes to repair a damaged structure depends on its size and/or complexity. It will be determined by the GM.

Last edited by Jasband on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:02 pm; edited 26 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://gw5sbox.forumotion.com
Jasband
Admin
Jasband

PostSubject: Re: Construction | Destruction & Repair   Construction | Destruction & Repair I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 12:11 pm

"Lastly, Advanced regions can support all of the buildings of a Settled region, excluding the Expansion Project, plus the following:"

EXPANSION PROJECT? WHAT COULD THAT BE!?!?
Back to top Go down
Lord William

Lord William

Ignore This Number : 322

PostSubject: Re: Construction | Destruction & Repair   Construction | Destruction & Repair I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 2:55 pm

Gee, Ascertes, I couldn't possibly know!

Anyway, halve the upgrade cost of an existing building and double the resources received from demolishing a functional building.
Back to top Go down
Limes

Limes

Ignore This Number : 311

PostSubject: Re: Construction | Destruction & Repair   Construction | Destruction & Repair I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 2:58 pm

^^Pretty much.

Also, we have to decide if we want the scaling for Building tiers, because I don't know about you, but some of my first custom research I'm going to try and put through is creating lots of upgrades for my research center, to be linear or what.
Back to top Go down
Jasband
Admin
Jasband

PostSubject: Re: Construction | Destruction & Repair   Construction | Destruction & Repair I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 3:07 pm

William, I'm already making construction cheaper than GW4. I don't think the cost needs to be halved to upgrade. Once I get the tables up here, we can work it out. I can increase demolition resource recovery to 50%, though.

Lime, that's an interesting question. To keep things simple, I'd say we could achieve "Tier III" and above through applied research, but since research is going to be personalized, I don't know if I want to limit it like that. For instance, your idea of a T3 Research Center effect might be to increase a stage's success chance by 5%, but my idea might be to decrease the Gold required by Professors. Both would be "T3", because they're both beyond the T2 effect, but they're not the same.
Back to top Go down
Limes

Limes

PostSubject: Re: Construction | Destruction & Repair   Construction | Destruction & Repair I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 3:14 pm

Well, we need to see the tables first, but stuff like this can get expensive and fast.
Back to top Go down
Jasband
Admin
Jasband

PostSubject: Re: Construction | Destruction & Repair   Construction | Destruction & Repair I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 3:37 pm

The initial goal is to be able to commission 3-4 buildings in one turn, using the 20k collected resources and the income of a few regions. The problem is that once players start getting resource modifiers, they can easily double that number, so I intended upgrading to be sort of the more expensive option. Building it = cheap, upgrading = not so cheap. I could, alternatively, make everything super cheap, but place a cap (probably 3) on how many projects can be commissioned each turn, like the recruitment cap. It would include both new buildings and upgrade commissions.
Back to top Go down
Jasband
Admin
Jasband

PostSubject: Re: Construction | Destruction & Repair   Construction | Destruction & Repair I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 8:34 pm

Um, okay.

If we're going to reduce Construction costs this much, we also need to reduce siege engine and ship costs; otherwise, it'll be stupid. Here's what I've tweaked:

Construction | Destruction & Repair YyiRCOD

Construction | Destruction & Repair T74cnLO

Hopefully, the upkeep will be the main limiter as to how many siege engines/ships there will be.

Last edited by Jasband on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:17 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Lord William

Lord William

PostSubject: Re: Construction | Destruction & Repair   Construction | Destruction & Repair I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 8:43 pm

It's not that the whole thing needs to be cheaper. It's just that one tier-2 building is worth three tier-1 buildings in resources, which is just outright dumb. By halving the upgrade cost we get tier-2 building = 2 tier-1 buildings, which is a lot more reasonable. The building costs don't even need to be lowered that significantly.
Back to top Go down
Limes

Limes

PostSubject: Re: Construction | Destruction & Repair   Construction | Destruction & Repair I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 8:45 pm

Well, I still have a slight problem with Ship Costs.

You see, I feel like Ships should be even cheaper, only by a little, but 33,000 Resource for a Galleon in comparison to 8,000 Resource for a Fortress seems a little absurd.

So, I feel like we should scale down both the Costs and the strengths of ships. A Transport should not be able to carry 2,500 Troops, maybe 500-1,000. Galleons, Carracks, Frigates, maybe 100-200, 80-160, and 60-120 hands respectively. Additionally, I feel like the cost for fully loading up a ship with actual cannons is way too high: Perhaps specialized, low-cost ship-cannons?

Also, the cost chain should not be going Scoutship -> Transport -> Frigate -> Carrack -> Galleon, as the Transport is, in my eyes, worth more than a Frigate. The Chain should either be Scoutship -> Frigate -> Transport -> Carrack -> Galleon, or Scoutship -> Frigate -> Carrack -> Transport -> Galleon.
Back to top Go down
Jasband
Admin
Jasband

PostSubject: Re: Construction | Destruction & Repair   Construction | Destruction & Repair I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 8:51 pm

Both good changes. I'll keep fiddling with the costs before making the tables look pretty ;_;

Regarding William, do you mean halving the upgrade cost from what it is in GW4 - so, basically, upgrading will cost the same resources it took to build T1? Or do you mean halving the initial construction cost, so that a Tier II building is more like 1 and a half Tier I buildings? I'm actually okay with the second option, but to compensate I'd want either the Gold or time costs to be higher when upgrading.
Back to top Go down
Lord William

Lord William

PostSubject: Re: Construction | Destruction & Repair   Construction | Destruction & Repair I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 4:49 am

The former option. I think that tier 1 buildings are pretty nice where they sit at, and only need a minor cost nerf. Hmm... Another thing, maybe forts should be made bigger? Lime pointed out they're only 8,000 resources, which doesn't really make sense to me. It's a fortress after all, and doesn't provide just a troop garrison, it provides an actual defensive position to fight from. It's like a guardhouse and stone walls in one, so I think it deserves to be stronger. On that spirit, we should allow it to be built into settlements, too.
Back to top Go down
Limes

Limes

PostSubject: Re: Construction | Destruction & Repair   Construction | Destruction & Repair I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 8:32 am

What do you think about Ships, William?

Oh, and also, should we allow a settlement to have a Fortress, a Guardhouse, and Stone Walls, all in one?

And, what's with this new post editor?
Back to top Go down
Lord William

Lord William

PostSubject: Re: Construction | Destruction & Repair   Construction | Destruction & Repair I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 9:25 am

This editor is horrible! Worst update ever.

Anyway, ships can be made cheaper to be more consistent with actual buildings, though I'm not sure whether or not it's necessary when all the actually huge construction things are also actually costly. If they're made cheaper, they also need to be nerfed.

And yes, a fort, a guardhouse and stone walls should be able to be built in a settlement. A fortress is just one building, afterall, stone walls cover the entire settlement. It's like another set of stone walls for the big army headquarters alone, I guess.
Back to top Go down
Jasband
Admin
Jasband

PostSubject: Re: Construction | Destruction & Repair   Construction | Destruction & Repair I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 10:45 am

I had nothing to do with updating this editor o_O... *glares at Forumotion*

Hey, wait! I can use Ctrl+B to type in Bold on Chrome! I LOVE THIS THINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Anyways, the main thing I wanted to do was to provide a way to garrison troops in a Wild region. Don't over-examine the terminology. These forts are not fortresses; they're military camps that take up a large swathe of land. They have primitive stone walls and serve to control the local landscape while providing a defensive bonus against attackers. Envision a roman castra, but more permanent. It's certainly true that castles and other fortresses developed from these camps, but I'll cover that in a second.

I haven't quite decided if I want players to be able to garrison all of their inactive troops at a given time; if so, I'm going to make the garrison cap much, much larger (think 5k for a Fort, 10k for a Guardhouse and 20k for a Castle (Advanced region)). All of the building names are tentative. Part of me thinks there's nothing wrong with it, as cutting upkeep in half for 60-80% of your troops will help with your economy, plus those troops will be ready to defend the region at any time and they can help out with bandits (in a Wild region) and Dissent. The other part says that troop upkeep is a huge part of the economy, and its balance will have to stem from this decision.

Also, if we have the garrisoning of troops, we'll also have to look into "garrisoning" siege engines and ships. For ships, I guess Ports and Shipyards can have a certain number of slots available for docking. Some types of siege engines, e.g. Catapults and Cannons, may be able to be placed on Stone Walls and above, again with a cap.

Ship costs can definitely be lowered a bit further, and yes, their effectiveness (from what William mentioned in the Military draft) will have to be lowered with it.

One thing I wanted to ask is if we should allow Wild regions to be developed into Settled ones. The main deal is that if you choose to do so, your resource modifiers will be nerfed down to those of a typical Settled region (probably +0.1x or +0.2x of, at most, 2 resources). If you upgrade from a Settled to Advanced region, you'll lose all resource modifiers. Since there are benefits and drawbacks to the decision, I'd be fine with incorporating it.
Back to top Go down
Limes

Limes

PostSubject: Re: Construction | Destruction & Repair   Construction | Destruction & Repair I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 11:31 am

Oh, so a fort is more like Fort Necessity than Fort Duquesne. I got it.

Why not go with the standard "Military Outpost," then?
Back to top Go down
Limes

Limes

PostSubject: Re: Construction | Destruction & Repair   Construction | Destruction & Repair I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 11:41 am

what the fuck is going on with this editor...
Back to top Go down
Jasband
Admin
Jasband

PostSubject: Re: Construction | Destruction & Repair   Construction | Destruction & Repair I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 12:05 pm

What's the problem with the editor?? @_@
Back to top Go down
Limes

Limes

PostSubject: Re: Construction | Destruction & Repair   Construction | Destruction & Repair I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 1:00 pm

DEAR GOD WHAT DID YOU DO TO THE ENTIRE FUCKING WEBSITE
Back to top Go down
Jasband
Admin
Jasband

PostSubject: Re: Construction | Destruction & Repair   Construction | Destruction & Repair I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 1:10 pm

I made it like 07scape website. NOSTALGIA, GNOME. GNOMESTALGIA

To answer the serious question at the top of the page, "Military Outpost" is a bit... bland, but I'll change it if there's confusion.
Back to top Go down
Jasband
Admin
Jasband

PostSubject: Re: Construction | Destruction & Repair   Construction | Destruction & Repair I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 1:47 pm

Alright, posted the Settled region buildings. Let's mull over that for a while.

I don't plan to have too many more buildings for Advanced regions. They include all of the Settled region buildings (except Expansion Project, of course), plus:

• Blast Furnace: Upgrades Melee troops to T3. Requires Training Ground.
  • Targeting Range: Upgrades Ranged troops to T3. Requires Training Ground.
  • Meditation Center (need a better name, lol): Upgrades Magic troops to T3. Requires Training Ground.
  • Advanced Stables: You should be able to figure this one out, as well as what it requires (^).
  • Structures that give significant empire-wide bonuses, such as the Research Center (better chance for each stage of a research project to succeed), Arcane Tower (reduces cost of Major Spells), and perhaps the Palace (reduces Dissent gain in all regions). These types of buildings would have a one-per-empire limit. I'm considering putting the Library here, too (renaming it a Great Library if so).
  • T2 for all the Agent buildings.

Also, should Wild regions be upgradeable to Settled ones?
Back to top Go down
Limes

Limes

PostSubject: Re: Construction | Destruction & Repair   Construction | Destruction & Repair I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 4:05 pm

I nominate the name "Ritual Site" to replace "Meditiation center."

Yes, Wild Regions should be able to be upgraded to settled ones, but not Settled to Advanced.
Back to top Go down
Sirok

Sirok

Ignore This Number : 120

PostSubject: Re: Construction | Destruction & Repair   Construction | Destruction & Repair I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 5:40 pm

But Lime, if we were to do that, then everyone would have to find a way to conquer an advanced territory in order to build those areas - meaning Tier-3 troops, research buffs, and various other benefits would be harder to obtain for people who do not know how to dominate as fast... if that makes sense?

Unless, of courser, we make it so our starting settlement starts out as advanced (Or becomes advanced at a certain stage in the game). But then we will have the same situation where ALL of the buildings possible are just built in our starting settlement, abandoning every other region.
Back to top Go down
Jasband
Admin
Jasband

PostSubject: Re: Construction | Destruction & Repair   Construction | Destruction & Repair I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 7:35 pm

Wow, this new editor really sucks for tablets/smartphones. 

Siroki has a good point. Besides, I have a sneaking suspicion that if we don't include a way to upgrade Wild regions to Settled and Settled to Advanced, players will try to research a way to do it anyways. If William approves that research, then those player(s) will have a huge advantage. I think it's best to allow Wild to be upgradeable, and I'll tweak the tables accordingly.
Back to top Go down
Limes

Limes

PostSubject: Re: Construction | Destruction & Repair   Construction | Destruction & Repair I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 11:42 pm

How do you upgrade from Wild to Settled.

Also, I'll look at the resource numbers when I'm less tired.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Construction | Destruction & Repair   Construction | Destruction & Repair I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Construction | Destruction & Repair
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next