Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

World Map Expansion

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Jasband
Admin
Jasband

Ignore This Number : 456

World Map Expansion Empty
PostSubject: World Map Expansion   World Map Expansion I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 1:18 am

We're going to need to create names and a bit of fluff for the new regions we want to add to the world map. As we think of them, we can write them down here.
Back to top Go down
https://gw5sbox.forumotion.com
Sirok

Sirok

Ignore This Number : 120

PostSubject: Re: World Map Expansion   World Map Expansion I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 1:46 pm

Here's a start <3

Feel free to disagree on any of them.

1). Grand Exchange
2). Cooks Guild
3). Black Knights Fortress
4). Falador Castle
5). Clan Camp
6). Castle Drakan
7). Tzhaar City
8). The Arc
9). The Skull
10). The Hook
11). Misprint - Fremminik Isles is now the northern part
12). Neitiznot
13: Jatizso
14: Miscellania
15: Eceteria
16: Aprosandra
17: Marim
18: Death Plateau

Click here for new map (New regions drawn in red)
Back to top Go down
Lord William

Lord William

Ignore This Number : 322

PostSubject: Re: World Map Expansion   World Map Expansion I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 1:54 pm

Those are excellent additions, though I disagree with four of them: The Grand Exchange, The Cook's guild, Falador Castle and the Castle Drakan.

The Grand Exchange is a single building that's part of Varrock. It's very, very unlikely the Grand Exchange would function if its controller didn't also own the city of Varrock itself. The same goes for the rest of those. Cook's Guild also wouldn't add anything to the game.

Otherwise, good work.
Back to top Go down
Sirok

Sirok

PostSubject: Re: World Map Expansion   World Map Expansion I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 2:02 pm

I was thinking those four wouldn't go over well. Haha.

As for modifiers - The Eastern lands ones will be easy -

The Arc - Primarily Wood (Bamboo)
The Skull - Primarily Metal (Gunpowder)
The Hook (Corrected) - Primarily Stone (Slate)

If we do add the other three:

The Scythe - Primarily Wood (Cherry wood)
The Bowl - Gem source (Jade)
The Pincers - Primarily Metal (Stainless Steel)

Now which do you guys think will be landmarks?~ Or have I not read that far yet and we're not doing landmarks?
Back to top Go down
Limes

Limes

Ignore This Number : 311

PostSubject: Re: World Map Expansion   World Map Expansion I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 2:32 pm

I was thinking that, overall, we'd have way more regions, splitting up most of the existing ones, like Falador, into much smaller ones.
Back to top Go down
Lord William

Lord William

PostSubject: Re: World Map Expansion   World Map Expansion I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 2:37 pm

Well, we aren't going to have gazillions of regions, but I can see having half again as many. Of course, we can't split the cities themselves, but we can have Falador city and then the area outside the walls split up to more regions.
Back to top Go down
Limes

Limes

PostSubject: Re: World Map Expansion   World Map Expansion I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 2:40 pm

Well, remember, the Cities are quite small compared to the regions. Maybe we'll have Falador Actual, North Falador, West Falador, East Falador, and only Falador Actual being the advanced region, but North, West, East, etc. being categorized as settled.
Back to top Go down
Sirok

Sirok

PostSubject: Re: World Map Expansion   World Map Expansion I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 3:15 pm

How's this then:

The above (Minus GE, Falador Castle, Cooking Guild, and Castle Drakan)

+

Nature Spirit's Grotto
The Hallows
Here Be Vampyres (Space between Burgh De Rott and Meiyerditch)
Bone Arena (Rag and Bone Man)
Varrock Outskirts (Cooks Guild down)
Varrock Slums
Northern East Varrock
Daemonheim Camp
Uzer Mastaba
Monkey Colony (In Desert)
Zanaris (?)
Central Karamja
Northern Jungle (Between Volcano and Central Karamja)
Brimhaven Jungle
Fremminik Providence (Area outside of Relleka)
Guthix Temple (TWW)
Ardougne Market
Ardougne Zoo
North East Ardougne
Yanille Outsirkts
Jiggig
Here Be Strykewyrms (North West of Oo'glog)
Jungle Hunter Area (North of Oo'glog)
Ogresss Hunting Grounds (Between Oo'glog and Moblising armies)
Chompy Hunting Area (South of Castle Wars)
Gnome Grove (Many tree groves south of Gnome Stronghold)
North Gnome Stronghold (Gnomeball field + Swamp)
Grand Tree
Piscatoris Hunting Area
Phoenix Lair

Click Here for New Map (New Regions Outlined in Red)
Back to top Go down
Lord William

Lord William

PostSubject: Re: World Map Expansion   World Map Expansion I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 3:42 pm

Well, first I think we should fix a few misconception you have about the map of God Wars forum game. If you take a look at Yuccon's map and look at Varrock, the city of Varrock is the size of the symbol it has on the map, and is located where the symbol is. And like I said, we can't split up cities into multiple regions.
Back to top Go down
Limes

Limes

PostSubject: Re: World Map Expansion   World Map Expansion I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 5:00 pm

Back to top Go down
Lord William

Lord William

PostSubject: Re: World Map Expansion   World Map Expansion I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 5:12 pm

...Yeah, that's too many.
Back to top Go down
Limes

Limes

PostSubject: Re: World Map Expansion   World Map Expansion I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 5:23 pm

I actually wanted to do more.
Back to top Go down
Sirok

Sirok

PostSubject: Re: World Map Expansion   World Map Expansion I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 5:29 pm

We could always make the map bigger to accomedate symbols
Back to top Go down
Lord William

Lord William

PostSubject: Re: World Map Expansion   World Map Expansion I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 5:32 pm

Sirok wrote:
We could always make the map bigger to accomedate symbols

Huh?
Back to top Go down
Sirok

Sirok

PostSubject: Re: World Map Expansion   World Map Expansion I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 5:37 pm

if the symbols and letters dont fit in the new regions, then why not make the (picture of the) map bigger?
Back to top Go down
Lord William

Lord William

PostSubject: Re: World Map Expansion   World Map Expansion I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 5:40 pm

It's not the size of the regions that's the issue, it's the number. Too many regions is just too many, since with the number of regions going up, so does the distance between locations. Like the distance between the Zarosian empire and the Nardans grows with Lime's version at least threefold. And now with the implementation of caravans that makes resource trading pretty much impossible.
Back to top Go down
Limes

Limes

PostSubject: Re: World Map Expansion   World Map Expansion I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 5:42 pm

Unless we increase speed.
Back to top Go down
Lord William

Lord William

PostSubject: Re: World Map Expansion   World Map Expansion I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 5:43 pm

I don't think it's a good idea increasing speed to ridiculous numbers just for the sake of it. What's the point of owning regions when your army can go through 5 regions in a single season?
Back to top Go down
Limes

Limes

PostSubject: Re: World Map Expansion   World Map Expansion I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 5:49 pm

The fact that there is like 500 regions.
Back to top Go down
Lord William

Lord William

PostSubject: Re: World Map Expansion   World Map Expansion I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 5:51 pm

Alright, let's say you send an army 10 regions away. This takes you 2 seasons. now, let's say you send an army merely 1 region away. This takes 1/5 of a season, so by all logic, it would arrive before the turn end would even happen. Instantaneous short-range mass-movement is overpowered.
Back to top Go down
Limes

Limes

PostSubject: Re: World Map Expansion   World Map Expansion I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 5:53 pm

Answer: Always round up.

Or, we could rework how roads work, or how fast Caravans move in comparison to Armies.
Back to top Go down
Lord William

Lord William

PostSubject: Re: World Map Expansion   World Map Expansion I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 6:01 pm

And how do you justify rounding up? I can see it with going through two regions at once, as halves always round up, but less than half has no such justification.

And how do you justify a caravan zipping through five times as many regions as an army? Armies aren't that slow, nor do caravans have airplanes. When distance grows, the downsides outweigh the positives.

Not to mention that when regions become more numerous, you need to either have much, much smaller modifiers, meaning regions on their own don't mean crap, or accept the fact that people can collect effective 200,000 resource later on.
Back to top Go down
Jasband
Admin
Jasband

PostSubject: Re: World Map Expansion   World Map Expansion I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 6:34 pm

My fault for not explaining it more clearly from the start. My perception was, in fact, a combination of Lime's thinking and William's (in regards to cities). First, remember the 3 types of regions (if you have more accurate names, please share them!):

Wild: mostly unsettled, small villages
Settled: even mix of unsettled land and a sizable settlement (town)
Advanced: almost no unused land; it's a city

So, Varrock wouldn't be split up into Varrock West, Varrock East, etc. It'd be more like Varrock itself, surrounded by regions that aren't well-represented in-game. For instance, a small hamlet to the west called Westborough (which would be a Settled region), or Varrock Fields to the south (Wild). Additionally, we might invent some new "buffer regions", like Gunnarsgrass, a Wild region between Edgeville and Gunnarsgrunn, without chopping up larger preexisting regions (though we'll do that, too).

The goal is 20-40% more regions.
Back to top Go down
Limes

Limes

PostSubject: Re: World Map Expansion   World Map Expansion I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 7:00 pm

Lord William wrote:
And how do you justify rounding up? I can see it with going through two regions at once, as halves always round up, but less than half has no such justification.

Armies take time to set up camp. Caravans do not need as much time.

Lord William wrote:
And how do you justify a caravan zipping through five times as many regions as an army? Armies aren't that slow, nor do caravans have airplanes. When distance grows, the downsides outweigh the positives.

In comparison to the Caravan, Armies are around 10x slower back in the day, IMO. Firstly, most armies aren't entirely on horseback/wheels. Additionally, Caravans carry around heavy things with Carts, Wagons, and Mules, while Armies need to mostly place it right on their soldiers' backs. This makes armies much slower. Additionally, as distance grows, it makes more sense to place a Mass Teleport Lodestone every so often.

Lord William wrote:
Not to mention that when regions become more numerous, you need to either have much, much smaller modifiers, meaning regions on their own don't mean crap, or accept the fact that people can collect effective 200,000 resource later on.

I assumed that the resources for each area would be much smaller, in some areas possibly nonexistent, just there for the gold collection. However, this would be balanced by each region being much easier to capture, unless the resource modifiers are severe, so it'd be much easier to capture loads of small territories.

Jasband wrote:
So, Varrock wouldn't be split up into Varrock West, Varrock East, etc. It'd be more like Varrock itself, surrounded by regions that aren't well-represented in-game. For instance, a small hamlet to the west called Westborough (which would be a Settled region), or Varrock Fields to the south (Wild). Additionally, we might invent some new "buffer regions", like Gunnarsgrass, a Wild region between Edgeville and Gunnarsgrunn, without chopping up larger preexisting regions (though we'll do that, too).

So, essentially, it's just another naming issue. I see the mechanics we essentially agree on, it's just what we call it all. In My opinion, it's like calling Quebec. There is a Quebec City, there's a Quebec Territory. Quebec Territory has a bunch of tiny cites and towns all across, but Quebec City is one city inside, tiny in comparison to the actual territory. Just replace all the times I said "Quebec" with "Varrock" and that's basically the example.
Back to top Go down
Jasband
Admin
Jasband

PostSubject: Re: World Map Expansion   World Map Expansion I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 7:23 pm

Right, but when people say Quebec (or how about New York?), they usually mean the city itself, not the territory/state. Therefore, we can't name Westborough "Varrock West" because people will assume the city itself is split up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: World Map Expansion   World Map Expansion I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

World Map Expansion
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Discussions-
Jump to: